All students living in the residence halls should consider insurance to cover personal items (bikes, books, computers, electronics, etc.) that may be lost, damaged, and/or destroyed by accident, theft, or other means. The University does not cover students’ personal items. Family homeowner policies may provide coverage or renter’s insurance and/or personal property coverage can be purchased for a nominal fee.
You may already be covered under your family’s homeowners’ insurance. However, not all homeowners’ policies cover everything students bring to school, or the deductible may be high. You should check with your insurance agent and request a written note on what is and is not covered under your policy. Some things you should verify are whether there are limitations on computers, electronics or other such items, the coverage limit, and the deductible amount.